Welcome to the ISP’s Freedom of Information Act , 5 ILCS 140/1 et. seq., (FOIA) web page!
This page assists with filing a request for public records from ISP under FOIA. ISP receives thousands of requests under the Freedom of Information Act each year. This online form is not required but aids in processing requests and providing prompt responses.
FOIA Submission Form
Balancing Commitment to Transparency and Accountability while Protecting Private, Confidential, and Safety Sensitive Information
FOIA requires that the ISP make available to any person for inspection or copying all public records subject to the exemptions set forth in Sections 7, 7.5, and 8.5 of the Act. The ISP receives thousands of requests under the Freedom of Information Act each year and has five business days to respond to all FOIA requests subject to an extension of five additional business days if collection, review, and redaction of the records requires additional time. Accordingly, you are encouraged to use the resources provided on this page to appropriately identify your requested records, accurately isolate relevant timeframes, and understand what to expect.
Tips to Navigate Submitting a Request
- Be specific – check out the types of records we maintain before you formulate your request.
- Avoid using terminology like “any and all records” as this often creates a disproportionate burden on the operations of ISP and may result in either a delay in a response or denial of the request.
- Be aware of case status – if an investigation is open and ongoing, records related to the investigation may be withheld if their release will interfere with reasonably contemplated law enforcement criminal or administrative proceedings.
Cooperation – we want to work with you to
- narrow requests that are unduly burdensome,
- get records released, once cases are closed, and
- provide direction when records are already publicly available elsewhere.
- Need additional assistance? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
You may mail your FOIA request to:
- Sarah Wheeler
- Illinois State Police
- Freedom of Information Officer
- 801 South 7th Street, Suite 1000-S
- Springfield, Illinois 62703